Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the country. With a growing population, more vehicles on the road, and constant construction, you can expect to get stuck in traffic at most hours of the day. Whether you’re commuting on I-285 or heading towards an Atlanta Falcons football game on Northside Drive, high traffic can lead to serious accidents. In fact, statistics show that car accidents in Atlanta have been on the rise recently. But what can you do to avoid getting into an accident?
What’s Behind the Increase?
According to the Georgia Department of Transportation, there has been a sharp increase in fatal car accidents in Georgia since 2014. In fact, the number of car accident fatalities has doubled in the past nine years. Many of these accidents occur in and around Atlanta.
Several factors contribute to the increase in car accidents in Atlanta. Distracted driving, speeding, and reckless behavior are all common culprits. Modern technology has made getting distracted behind the wheel easier, whether texting, scrolling through social media, or fiddling with GPS.
In addition, more drivers are driving impaired. According to recent data, drunk driving fatalities have increased by 32.5% in Georgia since 2012.
Stay Safe on Atlanta’s Roads
So, what can you do to protect yourself and your loved ones from becoming part of these alarming statistics? Here are some practical tips to help you stay safe on Atlanta’s roads:
- Stay Focused: Avoid distractions at all costs. Put your phone away, program your GPS before driving, and keep your attention on the road.
- Obey Speed Limits: Driving quickly on Atlanta’s highways can be tempting, but obeying speed limits is crucial. Speeding reduces your reaction time and increases the severity of accidents.
- Maintain Your Vehicle: Regular maintenance is key. Ensure your brakes, tires, lights, and signals are all in good working order. A well-maintained vehicle is less likely to malfunction on the road.
- Buckle Up: Seatbelts save lives. Always wear your seatbelt and make sure everyone in your vehicle does the same.
- Drive Defensively: Be a cautious and defensive driver. Assume that other drivers may not always follow the rules and be prepared to react to unexpected situations.
- Plan Your Routes: Use navigation apps to plan your routes ahead of time so you’re not caught making last-minute lane changes or exits.
- Avoid Rush Hours: If possible, schedule your trips to avoid the city’s notorious rush hour traffic.
- Consider Public Transportation: Atlanta has an expanding public transportation system, including MARTA. Opt for public transit to reduce your time on the road when feasible.
- Call an Uber: If you’re going to be drinking, plan to call an Uber or Lyft. Never drink and drive or get into the car with someone who has. Remember, buzzed driving is drunk driving.
When an Accident Occurs
Unfortunately, a car accident can occur even when you take all the necessary precautions. When another person hits your vehicle, you have the right to file a claim against the at-fault driver. After all, you need money to pay for car repairs, lost wages, and medical expenses.
In an at-fault state like Georgia, establishing faults is paramount. When an accident occurs, it’s not just about getting your vehicle repaired and your medical bills paid; it’s also about figuring out who was responsible for the crash. Insurance companies will assess the evidence to determine who was at fault for the accident.
Call a personal injury attorney immediately if you believe the other driver was at fault. They can investigate your accident and determine who is to blame for your crash. They can then gather the evidence needed to negotiate a better settlement with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Insurance companies may try to offer lower settlements, but your attorney can help ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love got hurt in a car accident in Atlanta, our experienced car accident lawyers can help. We know that car accident cases are never cut and dry. Accident victims often get the runaround from insurance companies after crashes, and they rarely get what they deserve without hiring a lawyer. That’s where we can help. Our lawyers can fight with the insurance companies and negotiate a fair settlement for you.
Call us today at 1-404-587-8946 or fill out our confidential contact form, and we’ll call you back. Our lawyers offer a free consultation so you can explore your legal options after a serious motor vehicle accident. Call today!